Positive about disabilities
Disability Confident is a Government scheme which aims to help employers make the most of the opportunities provided by employing disabled people. It is voluntary and has been developed by employers and disabled people’s representatives.
Disability Confident helps businesses:
- draw from the widest possible pool of talent
- secure and retain high quality staff who are skilled, loyal and hard working
- save time and money on the costs of recruitment and training by reducing staff turnover
- keep valuable skills and experience
- reduce the levels and costs of sickness absences
- improve employee morale and commitment by demonstrating that they treat all employees fairly
Stobhill Link has signed up to this scheme. We actively recruit staff and board members with disabilities. We currently employ some staff with disabilities.
Stobhill link offers opportunities to people with disabilities and mental health issues to volunteer and take part in our allotment projects in Bedlington and Morpeth. We can tailor make activities to meet the individuals needs. The Allotment project in Bedlington can offer horticulture activities to wheelchair users and we are intending to develop a Community Garden behind Stobhill Link in Morpeth which will be suitable for people with mobility issues. Stobhill Link encourages volunteering which can help build valuable work experience and build confidence. We aim to support people with disabilities and mental health issues who wish to find employment through our Employment Resources Service.